Friday, April 29, 2011

The Last Hurrah

Before I leave the great state of Michigan and miss the best of spring migration, Adam, Brad and I hit Monroe County, and we hit it hard! Ended with 13 species of shorebirds (14 counting the Woodcock we saw on the way home), but less warblers. Passerines were hard to come by, except this magnificent Prothonotary Warbler. It couldn't have posed better in the morning light right next to me. I fear I will never get a better picture of this bird in my life. It looks even better in full resolution.
Maybe my best picture ever?
At cell 3 we were diggin' through shorebirds, Dunlin mostly, when Brad pointed out a distant, interesting shorebird. Because Western Sandpiper doesn't register in spring migration, it took a while before we realized what was going on. The bird flew to the back side of the cell along the dike, so we followed, and the bird ended up walking right by us! Unfortunately the light was poor, almost overhead, so the picture isn't the greatest.
Western Sandpiper- Point Mouillee 4/29/11 

Just then, a GIANT TIGER MUSKY jumped out of cell 3 and ate the Western Sandpiper.
Gotta love photoshop.
Obviously I am low on sleep and a little slap happy so I'll make this short. Other shorebirds were American Avocet, 2 Marbled Godwits, 7+5 Willet, 2 Wilson's Phalarope, among the more common ones. Day list was over 110 and put my year list right at 300.

Next stop, Anchorage. I'll be there tomorrow night. Keep an eye on the blog for details from the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment