Sunday, March 6, 2011

Year Birds

Being back in Michigan has provided me with ample opportunity to see new birds for the year. Trash birds like Black-capped Chickadee, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpecker, American Goldfinch, American Robin, Tufted Titmouse all provided me with a split-seconds worth of amusement.

My father and I birded the Ingham/Eaton/Ionia area with hoping to pick up some early migrants. Cranes are making themselves known. We managed a few nice birds, including 2 Red-shouldered Hawks in Ionia along with at least 5 Bald Eagles. My "new" 300mm f4 lens got its first workout in sub-par conditions, but performed better than I had hoped. Below are a few shots from today. The birds were far away and the conditions were garbage, but I can see some potential in this lens.

The second Red-shouldered Hawk of the day. At the distance this was taken, and the overcast conditions, I am quite happy.
A young Bald Eagle soaring over the road in Ionia County.
Maple River is a potential for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment