Sunday, May 1, 2011

Anchorage!

I arrived late last night in Anchorage, Alaska. I am currently staying with faculty until my flight leaves for the North Slope on May 16th. Until then I am taking a gun/bear safety training class and a wilderness first aid class. In between I will be getting field gear ready and helping prepare for the intense field season that awaits.

But enough of that. I birded Potters Marsh and Westchester Lagoon. Arctic Tern and Mew Gull were abundant.
Mew Gull- All over the place
Bad pic of an Arctic Tern. I'll have more chances to get it right.
Red-necked Grebes were around at Potters Marsh.
Also had 7 Hudsonian Godwits at Westchester Lagoon, a nice, overdue lifer. Barrow's and Common Goldeneye, Bonaparte's Gulls, Boreal Chickadee and Black-billed Magpie were a few other birds seen around.

Gun safety starts at 8:30am tomorrow. I guess it is time I learn how to shoot a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment