Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nest Searching Pays Off!

The birds are starting to nest. Our first nest of the season was a Lapland Longspur I found as I saw an adult carrying feathers to line the nest. Today was the first shorebird nest being built by the male Red-necked Phalarope. It was in the early stages, but I witnessed a pair copulating and the male went right to work. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures as I was nest searching.

I scheduled a photoshoot with this Bar-tailed Godwit. There are now at least 2 pairs in our area.
I had some nice light on this male Lapland Longspur. I'm not sure why he looks so sad. Maybe it is all the water flooding the tundra.
I'll be sure to post pictures of our invertebrate traps and some of the nests soon. I know I've said it before, but things are really getting busy! It will get crazy soon, so I'll enjoy my sleep while I can. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment