Friday, May 13, 2011

Heading North

Fellow blog followers, the time has almost come for me to migrate even further north. I'm talking about the tundra on the North Slope of Alaska. I will be stationed just east of an oil drilling town called Alpine. We leave at 7am on Monday from Anchorage. This should give you a little idea of where I'll be.


  It has been quite a busy week but I've done everything I could to prepare for the field season. Nest and banding books are made, data sheets printed out, plot maps laminated and the list goes on. Not much time for birding. I did get a couple random year birds today including American Dipper and Gray Jay. 

 This weekend I will hopefully be getting to the mountains to try to find a few more boreal species and enjoy the trees before I don't see them for a few months.

The only way I will be able to keep this blog going is if I have cell service on the slope. The possibility is good as long as Verizon has a deal with the group who provides coverage for the oil workers. I know it will be hard, but you'll just have to live with it if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment